Monday, September 3, 2007

HP Book Review

So after starting 'Order of the Phoenix' in the beginning of July and then reading 'Half Blood Prince' I finally started 'Deathly Hallows'. So the first thing I have to say is I never really paid attention to the title and listened to people say Deathly HOllows...like a forest. Then as I read and realized it was HAllows that made a huge difference. For a while I expected something to happen in one of the many forest locations but how foolish a thought that was. Anyway, I finished last night so I figured I would write my thoughts down about this book and the series.

I loved the fact that all of the characters came into play during the book. I thought that we would miss great characters like Neville, Luna, and my favorites Fred and George. I was kept on the roller coaster of events not really knowing what was going to happen next. Although, I have to admit I didn't really try to figure things out and went with the flow of the book. I don't know if it was because I mostly read when I was tired at night but, it seemed the emotion flowed more in this book and there are some other obvious reasons: characters we have grown to like disappearing or dieing does bring that about.

So I haven't done a great job in my review but, skipping to the end I had one of my suspicions confirmed and that was that Snape was really on Dumbledore's side. In 'Half Blood Prince' when he kills Dumbledore I thought that was the plan and I was justified in that thinking. With all the doubt that is cast on Dumbledore I learned that if he trusted someone or a theory to go with it. I was all ready for Harry to actually die and had kind of a wierd dissapointment when he didn't. But, JK did a good job of explaining it and it made for that cool showdown with Voldemort (no I am not afraid :-)). Other than the "19 Years later" being really cheesy but kind of necessary, I really liked this book. Of them all I had previously like 'Half Blood Prince' best and 'DH' outdid 'HBP' just enough; although since the kids are older the language of "men" comes into play more which I didn't care for.

Overall the book is a 5star book. A great series with only 1 book that was difficult - 'Order of the Phoenix'. If you haven't read the series and enjoy a good, good versus evil book with great characters I reccomend you get started. They are easy reads and don't tax the brain too much or at all. Will there be another Harry Potter phenomenon type of series again? Who knows.

1 comment:

McKay and Rachel said...

I really liked the book too. I am glad someone else is finally done with it in the family so we can talk about it more. I really liked the way it ended. I feel like I can now walk away from the HP series and not need another book.

I have never read a series before so this has set the standard really high for future readings.